I'm here too

Tuesday, June 10, 2014

There are BPA's in your canned tomatoes, and I'm worried.

This is one of the most important food items that I use, and have chosen to question. I find it important since in my house growing up and at my grandparents' house, even my OWN canned tomato products were, and are, a huge staple. As a whole I can say my family is a health conscious bunch. I think I can also say that if we knew how detrimental this product can be to our health then we would have made the appropriate changes a long time ago.



(image borrowed from here)

Even the most conscious people at times make excuses for food awareness. We have all heard the conspiracy theories about the FDA, the commercial farming companies and food distributors. I think that scares people away from believing products are bad for your health even when it's logical. Conspiracy theories are at the root of a lot of indecision on health matters. People don't know who to believe.

The internet is flooded with false information and opinion passed off as fact. I rant about this constantly, and feel it necessary that I repeat it again for anyone tuning in for the first time. I try my hardest to read multiple articles on my current thought, research extensively, and also entertain the opposing theory for reference. I always suggest you do the same whenever I share my findings, you never know I may be wrong....IF I am then please come back and share what you have found so we can learn together!


"1. The Endocrinologist Won’t Eat: Canned Tomatoes
Fredrick Vom Saal, is an endocrinologist at the University of Missouri who studies bisphenol-A. (BPA)

The problem: The resin linings of tin cans contain bisphenol-A(BPA), a synthetic estrogen that has been linked to ailments ranging from reproductive problems to heart disease, diabetes, and obesity. Unfortunately, acidity (a prominent characteristic of tomatoes) causes BPA to leach into your food. Studies show that the BPA in most people’s body exceeds the amount that suppresses sperm production or causes chromosomal damage to the eggs of animals. “You can get 50 mcg of BPA per liter out of a tomato can, and that’s a level that is going to impact people, particularly the young,” says vom Saal. “I won’t go near canned tomatoes.”

The solution: Choose tomatoes in glass bottles (which do not need resin linings), such as the brands Bionaturae and Coluccio. You can also get several types in Tetra Pak boxes, like Trader Joe’s and Pomi. Exposure to BPA Causes Permanent Damage In OffSpring"

 
(images borrowed here for Pomi and here for glass jars)
(source from, "8 Foods Even The Experts Won’t Eat.")

Again this product in particular is something I use constantly, whole, chopped, stewed, paste, puree...For sauces, soups, stews, chili, side dishes, and at that rate I am exposing myself and my family to the harmful chemicals that the acids in tomatoes are drawing out of the aluminum cans they are packed into. Some people say in moderation everything is ok, but I am not taking that chance anymore. Why continue buying products that pose health concerns when you can purchase harmless versions of the same thing?

Here is an article from "USA TODAY" called FDA rejects call to ban BPA from food packaging. This is a great example of how the FDA dismisses proven claims against the harmful substance because it is used in so many products like bottled water and canned foods. It is strange though isn't it that children's bottles, toys, sippy-cups and any product they could potentially put in their mouth is almost always BPA free? Read that article it will inform you of the inconsistencies.

This article is directly found on the FDA website, here they kind of admit there might be a problem, but not to worry they are going to spend another hand full of millions to prove what they already know.

"Studies employing standardized toxicity tests have thus far supported the safety of current low levels of human exposure to BPA. However, on the basis of results from recent studies using novel approaches to test for subtle effects, both the National Toxicology Program at the National Institutes of Health and FDA have some concern about the potential effects of BPA on the brain, behavior, and prostate gland in fetuses, infants, and young children. In cooperation with the National Toxicology Program, FDA’s National Center for Toxicological Research is carrying out in-depth studies to answer key questions and clarify uncertainties about the risks of BPA."

(source is from the FDA website

"Bisphenol A (BPA): Use in Food Contact Application")


Again make your own choices that you determine by your own research, but always inform yourself on the issues related to your health and the health of your family, if you don't who will?

Thank you  to everyone who finds my content useful, I love that I have a place that I can share what is most important to me. 


*Subscribe to this blog for more great health related 
discussions, and yummy recipes that will go straight to your inbox!


No comments:

Post a Comment