I'm here too

Tuesday, November 5, 2013

MONDAY 11/4

Bare with me here while I learn how to simplify yet competently run a Blog. I find that I at times can ramble on, and even for me it becomes information overload! :) So today is, well was Monday, and on Mondays I make a short drive into North Park to visit with and cook for Christine. I've explained earlier that because of her hectic schedule I cook her a fridge full of goodies every Monday night.....hoping it'll last till the following week. Here in this update I'll explain and give the basics for "3" of the dishes I prepared today.
First we have Yellow Split Pea Soup. Pretty easy, although I probaby should've added that I DON'T cook from "measured" recipes (I got it from my Grandma) So I will try my hardest to translate in a way that can be followed.
Anyway back to the soup!

In a large pot, I used a Dutch Oven, 4-6 cups of water.
1 bag of dried Split Peas, I used Yellow today.
3 med-large cloves of Garlic, peeled and smashed. No need to chop.
2 larged Carrots, again peeled and chopped large.
Bring all ingredients to a boil and simmer, stiring occasionally so they dont stick. You can add more liquid IF you like a thinner soup. IT WILL THICKEN. Salt to taste, and pepper optional.
I usually use Ham-hocks or Shank to flavor and add flecks of meat, but today I went vegetarian. I would estimate from Prep to serve this Split Pea soup is done in 45 minutes to an hour.

Next I made some simple oven roasted Garlic and Sweet Mini Peppers.
Wash and trim the tops off of your Peppers.
Cut the bottom off of a WHOLE head of Garlic.
On a non-stick cookie sheet (I used a non-stick cake pan)
Toss both the Peppers and Garlic in Olive Oil, about 3 Tbsp.
Place the garlic cut side up and the Peppers Flatter side down.
Roast at 350° for 20-30 minutes checking for charred peppers and turning them, again I'm estimating my time, in your oven it could take longer, or even shorter so check them frequently.
When they're finished the Peppers should be soft and charred on both sides, and the Garlic should slip out of the clove casing and be equally soft.
Lastly we have an easy sauteed Zucchini.  Slice 1 whole Zucchini. In a skillet sautee with 2 Tbsp. of Olive Oil. Season with Lemon pepper, Garlic powder and "Knorr" Tomato Chicken base powder. Lightly brown on both sides until tender, not mushy. Serve hot or room temp.
Everything pictured here cost under $5.00 Seriously!

No comments:

Post a Comment