I'm here too

Tuesday, March 18, 2014

"Not" Candied Yams



Why add SUGAR? They're sweet enough as it is. So The Hunebee and KATvonVAPURE are on a high protein diet, very low carb. I have been making them Sweet Potatoes for the last couple weeks, and while this one was no exception I thought I'd add yams as well. In one cup of yams, which is around 177 calories there are over 1200 mg. OF POTASSIUM! Take that "Banana." Highest in vitamin C at 42% and vitamin B-6 at 20%. Anyway they are pretty tasty as well. So here is a bunch of pictures of how I prepared them today.

See there are those sweet potatoes, and they got used later on just not here. That is also about 3 cups of yams. It was split between Kuizzy, Kat, and The Hunebee. 



Taking a cookie sheet and lining it with foil for easy clean up I poured about 2 Tbs. of olive oil on the foil and seasoned it with salt and fresh cracked pepper. Then laid the yams out even in rows and did the same to the tops off them, a drizzle of olive oil, salt and pepper. 


I find it important to share what I found out about "Iodized" versus "Sea" salt. So when I was a kid, in the early 90's, they were trying to convince people about SALT, namely IODIZED, being the culprit of heart problems. So my family like many others traded up for Sea Salts. I was wondering not to long ago why people still even use Iodized, not that I bought the heart complication thing, but because I thought it wasn't good for you because of the process in which its made into table salt. So I looked it up and found out that because of those "HEALTH FOOD WACKO" ideas or fabrications people spread there were a lot of people who had Iodine deficiencies from cutting out the "table salt." Sea salt has very little if not any iodine. Iodine is vital to our health; so there you go!



Ok my oven was preheated to 450 degrees from earlier so I just put the yams in at that temp for 15-20 minutes. Make sure to check them, like all things they will burn, and they release a lot of sugar so if that pan, or cookie sheet isn't lined then you'll have a stinky, sticky mess.



I paired these with pan roasted, boneless, skinless chicken breast for Kat and salmon for Christine(thehunebee). Besides her Gluten allergy she is also allergic to Tryptophan so poultry is out to! Kuizzy got them too, he doesn't have any Food specificities, just easy on the dairy...like most of us should!;)









No comments:

Post a Comment