I'm here too

Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Puttanesca Sauce $6 dinner for Four in 30 minutes from start to finish

I have made this a couple of times over the last couple months, it is especially for Kui. It's been so crazy in my kitchen that I have a hard time cooking AND taking pictures lately, but today was relatively easy and I used my time to my advantage! Here below is a step by step for this sweet, fresh and herby "everything-but-the-kitchen-sink" pasta sauce. If you are a fan of Anchovies you'll love this!


Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 20
Servings: 4

Cost: $6.00

Ingredients: 

3-4 Tbs. olive oil
1 Tbs. garlic
1/8 cup onion
2 oz. pkg, anchovies in olive oil
Sprinkle of each: (dried)
Oregano
Sage
Thyme 
Rosemary
1 15oz. can of whole peeled tomatoes
1 cup of bullion (I used Tomato Base)
Fresh Basil and Oregano about 1/3 cup each
1/2 tsp. Sugar
Salt and Pepper
1 lb. of Pasta (I used Rotini)



Saute chopped onion, garlic and anchovies in olive, don't forget the salt and pepper. (I add the oil from the anchovies as well)


These are the brand of anchovies I used. This 2 oz package was $1.39 at a local market near my home, and normally they go on sale for just $1.00.


I just used some dried spices from my rack, but if you can find these fresh it's a plus! I add these in once the onion, garlic and anchovies have cooked down a bit.


Add the whole can and of tomatoes and crush by hand or with a potato masher. Salt and Pepper again after adding the tomatoes.


Microwave or heat 1 Tbs of bullion powder in a cup of water and add it to the sauce.


Rough chop or rip off some fresh Basil and Oregano and toss it in!


Simmer on low for about 20 minutes. Add your tsp. of sugar and continue to cook while the pasta boils. Don't forget to salt your pasta water as well.

Puttanesca is a very thin sauce and is one that is the best a day later once the flavors have had time to marinate and meld together! I normally make this sauce with Spaghetti, which is traditional, but any cut will work great. Also traditionally this is a sauce with capers so if you love those little pickled bursts of flavor go ahead and include them as well!

ENJOY!
*Subscribe to get this and many other great recipes straight to your inbox on the daily!
Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment